from the book “Clarinet Warm-ups”, by Kelly Burke) 5 min
- Stand facing a mirror with your feet slightly apart
- Raise hands above the head and then slowly lower them to your side. This should help to elevate the chest, but be sure the shoulders are relaxed and not raised
- Inhale deeply and slowly over four counts paying careful attention that the shoulders do not rise. Concentrate on expansion in the abdominal area
- Hold for two seconds. It is important to stay relaxed and not let the air lock in the throat
- Form the letter “Q” with the lips and slowly exhale the air over four counts
- Breathe normally. Repeat if desired.